Don't be intimidated by kohlrabi! Part bulb, part greens, it's like a cross between a radish, jicama, broccoli, and collard greens. The small bulbous vegetable is encased in two harder shells of leaves, which typically do not soften when cooked. However, kohlrabi can be eaten raw or cooked and has been a staple of German cuisine for hundreds of years. You can use the kohlrabi root as well as the leaves in your diet, as they both have significant amounts of nutrients.
Try this recipe for the hot weather:
Kohlrabi slaw with cilantro, jalapeno and lime
Kohlrabi in its raw state, for its flavor, delicious crunch and amazing health benefits.
This simple kohlrabi salad recipe with cilantro and lime zest is dressed with a refreshing Citrus Vinaigrette made with fresh orange juice. It’s vegan and gluten free, and surprisingly filling, while remaining low in calories.
- 6 cups kohlrabi -cut into matchsticks or grated in a food processor -about three x 4 inch bulbs (or you could substitute sliced fennel, apple, jicama, cucumber, or cabbage for part of the kohlrabi for more diversity)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro ( one small bunch)
- half of a jalapeno -minced
- 1/4 cup chopped scallion
- orange zest from one orange, and juice
- lime zest from one lime, and juice
Citrus Dressing :
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- ¼ Cup fresh orange juice ( juice form one orange)
- 1/8 Cup lime juice plus 1 T ( juice from one large lime), more to taste
- 1/4 Cup honey ( or agave syrup)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
Trim and peel kohlrabi. ( I normally have to peel twice to get thru the thick skin). Cut off two ends. Cut in half from top to bottom. Thinly slice, rotate and slice again, making 1/4 inch matchsticks.
Place in large bowl with chopped cilantro, scallions, finly chopped jalapeño ( 1/2), lime zest and orange zest.
Whisk dressing together in a small bowl. Toss with salad. Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with zest and cilantro. This tastes goo the next day too.
Raw Kohlrabi Nutrient Label
Amount Per 1 slice (16 g)100 grams 1 cup (135 g)1 slice (16 g)
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0 g0%
Saturated fat 0 g0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg0%
Sodium 3 mg0%
Potassium 56 mg1%
Total Carbohydrate 1 g0%
Dietary fiber 0.6 g2%
Sugar 0.4 g
Protein 0.3 g0%
Vitamin A0%Vitamin C16%
Vitamin D0%Vitamin B-60%
Vitamin B-120% Magnesium 0%