Butter-Braised Spring Onions with Lots of Chives
Onion flavor is layered in this dish: The greens have a brightness to balance the bulbs' sweetness, the cooking liquid becomes a buttery sauce, and fresh chives deliver a high note to finish.
YIELD Makes 4 servings
ACTIVE TIME 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME 30 minutes
- 8 spring onions (about 1 pound), root ends trimmed
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Lay onions in a large skillet, trimming top of dark greens to fit. Add 2 tablespoons butter and 1/2 cup water to skillet; season with salt. Bring to a boil; cover. Reduce heat and simmer onions until greens are soft and bulbs are almost tender, 15-20 minutes. Uncover and cook, turning onions occasionally, until bulbs are completely tender, 5-8 minutes longer.
- Transfer onions to a plate. Simmer cooking liquid in skillet until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Return onions to skillet and turn to coat with sauce. Top with chives.
Serve as a side with a The Farm grass fed steak, or on the top of some delicious pasta.